Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dry Erase Calendar

Last year, I was on a mission to organize my home. My solution? Take to Pinterest and see what I can find. Though I never completely organized my home, I did find a project that I fell in love with! I took a few pictures of the steps since I made  the calendar, so please excuse the quality of the materials! They have been sitting around my house for a while.
 
 
This DIY dry erase calendar is one of my favorite projects in the house. It looks great, it is completely functional, and I always get compliments on it. The best part is you can make this match literally ANY room in your home.
 
What you will need:
 
14 paint swatches in any color
1 poster board (I used one that had faint gridlines to make it
easier to line everything up)
16x20 Picture frame
Paper cutter/scissors
Glue
Dry erase marker
 
Step 1: Cut your swatches down to size.
I used Valspar swatches that I found at Lowes and when I got them, they looked like this:
 
 
I chose these swatches because it would be easy to trim them and get rid of the writing on the side. Many of the other brands of swatches had writing across each color which ultimately means more cutting and trimming to get them perfect. I don't know about you, but I am all about easy and effective.
 
To cut them down, I cut right along the edge of the little square and the edge of the writing on the bottom left corner. If you are not using the swatches shown above, you will want to trim them down to about 2 inches wide.

 
Step 2: Trim down your poster board to fit your picture frame
 
Step 3: Arrange your swatches side by side, leaving about 1/4 inch between each one. Next, add a second row of swatches. You will want to leave about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch space between them. I lined them up to make it look like on large  swatch, so I tried to keep the "white space" between the swatches equal to the white space on the swatch itself.
 
 
Step 4: Glue them down!
 
Step 5: Put the poster board in the frame.
 
Now you are ready to hang your calendar and write the date!!
 
I mounted my calendar to the wall using Command Picture Hanging Strips. These have held up incredibly well! I was very surprised because the frame is very heavy but it has been hanging up for a year with no problems.  


No comments:

Post a Comment