Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Custom Coasters

I completed this project last Christmas, so I apologize that there are not step by step pictures! I made these coasters for my friends because I needed a cheap but useful Christmas gift. I plan on making these again for myself so there will be more pictures to come soon!!
 
 
This simple DIY project was one of my first attempts at something I found on Pinterest and got me hooked on do it yourself crafts. To make these coasters you will need:
 
Assorted scrapbook paper
Plain 4.25" x 4.25" tiles (you can find these at Home Depot or Lowes and
usually only cost about 20 cents.)
Modge Podge
Scissors or Paper cutter
Ruler
Cheap paint brush
A can of Clear Acrylic Sealer (I used the Modge Podge brand)
Small pieces of felt of cork
 
Step 1: Cut your paper in 4x4 squares. I used a paper cutter for this step to make sure t
hat my squares were all even.
Step 2: Clean and dry your tiles. The first set of these that I made I did not take this step seriously but believe me it makes a huge difference!
Step 3: Apply a thin coat of Modge Podge to your tiles.
Step 4: Place your scrapbook paper on the tiles and be sure to smooth out the bubbles!
Step 5: Allow your tiles to dry for about 15 minutes then apply 2 coats of Modge Podge to your tiles. Be sure to wait about 15 minutes between coats.
Step 6: Spray your tiles with 2 coats of acrylic sealer. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area or your loved one may not be very impressed with you.
 
*I allowed my tiles to dry over night and sprayed them with a few
extra coats of sealer just to be safe. This step is not necessary but I wanted to make
 sure that the paper was sealed in properly.*
 
Step 7: Apply felt or cork pads to the bottom of you coasters  and they are complete!!
 
For those of you interested in a price break down, this project only cost me about $5 because I had the Modge Podge and Sealer around the house from my infinite wedding projects.
 
8 Tiles @ $0.20 = $1.60
8 Sheets of Scrapbook paper @ $0.20 - $1.60
Felt pads $1.00 per package (found that the Christmas Tree Shop)
 
The most expensive part of this project is the Sealer and the Modge Podge which will run you about $5-$8 depending on where you purchase it. Walmart has been the cheapest place that I have found.
 
 Stay tuned for an update to this project when I attempt them again!
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment